Friday, September 19, 2008

Zion Trip

Just coming down from my vacation high. We had the best time. It was my dream to wake up everyday and have nothing to do but hike, hike, swim, hike, eat, hike. Good Times!

Monica and I started the trip out by waking up at 5 am to wait in line for permits. Turns out we needed to be there at 3am. We missed getting Subway permits for Sat. but meet really interesting people (one wierdo bragged about taking a 3 month old canyoneering down 100 foot rapels and floating him across freezing water in a basket) and got permits to the Keyhole. We then spent the rest of the day doing mini hikes and meeting up with the rest of our group. Once everyone got there we hiked to a fun waterfall and jumped off the rocks into a swimming hole. (Ask Brandon about his jump) We ended the day with good food and a camp fire.

Saturday we had to get up earlier to beat the crowd. Monica and I tricked Audrey and Emily into coming with us (we promised entertaining people) We got the passes! We then spent the day getting lost trying to find the Keyhole canyon but having fun all the same. The Keyhole was cold, cold, cold, dark and slimy and absolutly wonderful. Thank goodness for dry sacks or I'm certain I would be at the bottom of a cold, frog filled pool.

Sunday we hiked the Subway. Beautiful. If you ever have the chance take it but do the whole thing from the top or you will miss some good stuff. More cold water (not as bad as the Keyhole) some short rapels, a few snakes, two giant spiders, and 10 miles later we made it out to the car where we were greeted by some hippies who cursed Shane with bad karma for not letting them fix his toe.

So much fun can't wait to do Mystery and Pine Creek canyons next time.

Will post pictures when I get some from the wonderful Cox family. (why take a camera when they are going to be there)

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for the comment! Now I am a true blogger. I love yours. You are much cooler than me!

Jessica said...

Janelle I heard about how you blew everyone out of the water on the hike-great job!

thebarrusfamily said...

Hey Janelle. I feel funny commenting on my sisters high school friends blog. It brings back many memories of me being the annoying little sister. I'm not so annoying anymore. Just ask her.

Anyway, that trip looks awesome. We live pretty close to Zions and haven't really taken advantage of it. I would love to hike the Subway. My brothers family (Matt) just did it this last Summer and loved it. It's good to hear from you. You've got a sweet family. And by the way, I love your freckles. It makes you look youthful.

I tried talking Brooke into blogging but she won't do it.